Heidelberg Question 1
Q. What is your only comfort in life and in death?
A. That I am not my own(1), but belong— body and soul, in life and in death(2)—to my faithful Savior, Jesus Christ.(3)
He has fully paid for all my sins with his precious blood, (4) and has set me free from all the power of the devil. (5) He also preserves me in such a way (6) that without the will of my heavenly Father not a hair can fall from my head; (7) indeed, all things must work together for my salvation. (8) Therefore, by his Holy Spirit he also assures me of eternal life (9) and makes me heartily willing and ready from now on to live for him. (10)
- 1. 1 Cor 6:19, 20.
- 2. Rom 14:7-9.
- 3. 1 Cor 3:23; Tit 2:14.
- 4. 1 Pet 1:18, 19; 1 Jn 1:7; 2:2.
- 5. Jn 8:34-36; Heb 2:14, 15; 1 Jn 3:8.
- 6. Jn 6:39, 40; 10:27-30; 2 Thess 3:3; 1 Pet 1:5.
- 7. Mt 10:29-31; Lk 21:16-18.
- 8. Rom 8:28.
- 9. Rom 8:15, 16; 2 Cor 1:21, 22; 5:5; Eph 1:13, 14.
Week 1 At Home
Choose one of these passages to ponder each day of the coming week. Read each slowly, letting it sink into your spirit deeply.
- Psalm 23:4: Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
- Psalm 119:50: My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life.
- Isaiah 49:13: Shout for joy, you heavens; rejoice, you earth; burst into song, you mountains! For the Lord comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.
- Isaiah 51:12: “I, even I, am he who comforts you.”
- Matthew 5:4: “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.”
- 2 Corinthians 1:5: For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ.
Questions to think about this week
- Do you experience the comfort of belonging to Jesus in your everyday life? If so, how?
- The people, places, and things that God created do often bring us comfort. But can we rely on them to be our only comfort? Why or why not?
- Do you fear death? Why or why not?
- What does it mean to you that your body belongs to Jesus?
- What does it mean that your soul belongs to Jesus?
- Do you have a story about how belonging to Jesus has comforted you? Who might be blessed by hearing that story?
Spiritual practice for the week
Relax. Breath. Make it a goal to take time each morning to focus on the Scripture passages in this handout. Ask yourself: if God is my comfort then how can I show up today at school, practice or home? Am I anxious? Nervous? Why?